These are some experiences that you should not miss when traveling to Mekong Delta:
1. Sitting on the boat to explore the Mekong River: visitors will be sitting on the boat and go around Mekong Delta to explore the local life and how they make the coconut candy, crispy rice cakes. Moreover, tourists can talk with the friendly vendors about life in the Mekong Delta. The gentle wind blow from the sundeck boats that will bring to you an unforgettable feeling.
Sitting on the boat to explore the Mekong River
2. Exploring floating markets: As a river and water area, all activities take place on the river, including the sale of goods. Floating market is born from that. To experience the full atmosphere of the floating market, you should get up from 4-5am. This place sells all kinds of goods, bustling crowded without any kind of pulling. Arriving in the Mekong Delta, it is unfortunate to miss shopping at the floating market.
3. Conquering the Monkey Bridge: This is the seventh bridge in the top 10 of most feared bridges in the world according to Travel & Leisure magazine. Monkey Bridge is the one of the most interesting experience which you should try when traveling to Mekong Delta. Visitors walk across the bridge must be brave enough to step confidently and exactly through a simple wooden pair which is not wide enough (about 2 foots). Before walking across the bridge you are assured that the bridge is only through the shallow and not flowing water, the bridge is not too high compared to the water. Be assured that someone guides and protect visitors.
Conquering the Monkey bridge is an awesome thing to experience in Mekong Delta
4. Listening to folk songs of the South West: This is a typical folk art in South West of Vietnam. It combined with playing a musical instrument and singing. Traveling in the South West you do not miss to enjoy this folk art. Let’s look for a glass of honey aromatic tea while listening sweety song.
Tourist listen to folk songs – a typical folk art in South West Vietnam
5. Enjoy fresh fruits and muddying ditch then catch fish in the lush gardens: Foreign tourists always enjoy the rural areas with fruit fields. Visiting the garden you will enjoy many fresh fruits which are picked on the tree. Tourists also will be very excited to be working as farmers here. Dress up your pants and slap water in a small pond to look for fish that are hiding in the thick mud. After that, tourists will make many delicious dishes from their catching fishes.
Enjoy fresh fruits in Mekong Delta Vietnam
Note some of the most important and necessary items for you during your Mekong Delta exploration trip:
The price here is quite cheap. According to experience, if you ask 08 motels you will find 02 motels are fine so do not hesitate to go around and ask for better price. Be sure to check out the rooms, restrooms, and basic facilities.
Guests enjoy local food in a homestay
The personality in South West (Mekong Delta) is always sincere and hospitable so you can ask for accommodation in the house, on the boat or in the islets. In the evening, drinking wine with friendly locals who living in the vast river and listening to their life story and business, it will be a precious experience.
Necessary items for the trip:
– Drinking water, dry food, sanitation and preventive medicine.
– You should carry umbrellas, sunscreens, mosquito repellants and some basic medicines.
– If you want to get away from the main roads and experience the feeling of the wild nature, remember to bring a tent (to stay overnight) and you follow the crowds for safety.
On the way to explore Mekong Delta
* Roads, traffic:
1. The roads are quite similar: flat with no steep slope, small, narrow and it is often along the deep canals and rivers. If you ask for directions, you should ask several people repeatedly because some people might not know. Locals may give you directions the wrong way because they don’t know and this means they might ‘lose face’ culturally.
There are hundreds of kilometers of the road but only in a straight line and with few car repair areas so you have to equip yourself with puncture repair patches and always be cautious by preparing a liter reserve of gas. The road is quite deserted and sometimes there is a bad road so the car should have good headlights in order to avoid accidental fall into the river at night.
2. One thing to keep in mind is that when you see a rudimentary vehicle by anyone driving on the road, pay special attention to it and slow down as much as possible as it can divert at any time and there is no warning. When driving for long distances, take turns with other people to drive. Driving for a long time on dark roads can cause tiredness, so rest often and be careful.
3. If you continue to go into the village, there will be bridges without a railing, regardless of how narrow it is. Don’t hurry over bridges as they may swing and drop down towards the river.
Mekong Delta with a lot of the deep canals and rivers
4. When riding a two wheels vehicle through small ferries (ferry does not carry cars) will be crowded scene. If you have to go, you should not loss of calm. People in the Mekong Delta have been communicating their experiences that when falling into the river, firstly it is vital to stay afloat and keep calm. Then tread water (don’t fight, just swim lightly to save energy) and make your way to a safe point in the water.
Necessary items on road:
1. Mekong Delta map, compass, if possible carry a GPS.
2. Tools for repairing vehicles and equipment to prevent vehicle damage along the road if traveling by motorbike. Moreover, you should carry 1 liter of gasoline because of the gas stations here are very rare and close very early.
3. Bring shoes, gloves, masks, big glasses to cover the eyes which can look at night because of many dark spots and mosquitoes flying in.
4. Flashlights, you need to bring this light because most of the roads in the South West have no street lights and there are many canals without fences.
11) Buu Son Pagoda in Soc Trang (another name is Clay Pagoda): The structure of this pagoda is not different from the temple in Vietnam but this pagoda has special feature the candle weighs 200kg and has been burning for 70 years. Also, the Buddha statue in the temple is made of clay.
12) Thị Tường Lagoon, Ca Mau is one of the largest natural lagoon in the Mekong Delta, known as the “Lake of the Midlands”. The mound is located between Phu Tan and Tran Van Thoi districts of Ca Mau province. This place is described as a water-loving and poetic painting, especially in the morning and evening.
13) Đá Bạc Islet is a group of 02 islands in Tran Van Thoi district (Ca Mau province). It has many green trees and has a footprint of giant feet. There is also a statue of soldiers defending the fatherland of Vietnam.
Da bac islet in Ca Mau an attraction in Mekong Delta
14) U Minh Thuong is a valuable nature reserve, now being upgraded to a National Forest. The ecology in here is extremely rich and diverse as a miracle of nature given to this place.
U Minh Thuong nature reserve – an attraction in Mekong Delta
15) Chông Islet is a limestone complex in Kien Luong district, Kien Giang province. This island is exotic, serene and poetic with a lot of hills and caves, peaceful beaches and quiet temples.
16) Bà Lụa island is also known as Binh Tri archipelago in the Kien Luong – Kien Giang region. The scenery in this place is amazing and always stirring up whoever visits here.
17) Mạc Cửu Tomb in Ha Tien: Mac Cuu Tomb is considered as a work which has the most beautiful geomancy in Vietnam. We can visit the resting place of the Mac family – the family that explored the land of Ha Tien.
Mac Cuu Tomb in Ha Tien
18) Thạch Động tourist area, named as one of 10 beautiful sceneries of Ha Tien, with a majestic mountain and extremely beautiful caves.
19) Cam Mountain is about 90km from Ha Tien, the mountain is known as “Da Lat of the West”. Besides the fresh and cool atmosphere, Cam mountain is also famous for its many beautiful landscapes such as Bo Hong hill, Thien Tue hill, Thanh Long stream and some famous architectural works such as Van Linh Pagoda, Maitreya Buddha statue, Lam Vien resort.
20) Hung Vuong Square in Bac Lieu City is considered as the most beautiful square in the Mekong Delta. The area is about 4 hectares and the works are built and arranged into a very harmonious, deeply aesthetic and also very unique display. Typical of these buildings include the Cao Van Lau Theater, the Culture, and Art Exhibition Center.
The Cao Van Lau Theater at Hung Vuong Square in Bac Lieu
21) The villa of Bac Lieu mandarin’s son has now become one of the most visited hotels in Bac Lieu city. This place is also a playground associated with the name of Bac Lieu son – the most famous person in the South in the 20th century. The building was built in 1919 by a French engineer. The architecture of the house is very grandiose and splendid, in a white color. The interior is also made of precious materials. Nowadays the main parts of this villa are preserved intact for visitors to look around.
1) Tien river: Visitors can go on a boat to visit the canyons along the Tien River in Tien Giang or visit the coconut candy factory where the village developed along the river.
2) Tra Su mangrove forest, An Giang: Tra Su mangrove forest is located about 30 km from Chau Doc city, considered as the most typical and unique natural habitat conservation zone of the wetland ecosystem in the Mekong Delta. Melaleuca forests are most beautiful in floating season (from September to November). The greens are covered with a blue carpet on the “road surface”, on either side of the palm tree. Sometimes, oars, birds, and fish disturb the peace of a green forest.
3) Bung Binh Thien lake, An Giang: about 30km from Chau Doc, Bung Binh Thien is a natural lake, located in An Phu district, An Giang province, close to the Cambodia border. Visitors who come here will have a chance to feel a sense of peace and tranquility because of the blue space of the river and the sky.
Bung Binh Thien lake in An Giang is an attraction in Mekong Delta
4) Tà Pạ field in Tri Ton district, An Giang province: Looking from above, Ta Pa is like a deep green carpet because of hundreds of rice fields and scattered leaves of the tall palm trees. This makes Tà Pạ field becomes an attraction when visitors come to Mekong Delta.
5) Tan Lap Floating Village, Long An: Tan Lap Floating Village, also known as Tan Lap Melaleuca Forest, belongs to Moc Hoa District, Long An Province, about 100 km from Ho Chi Minh City. If you come here, you will have a feeling like being lost in a fairyland with the sunshine through the trees, murmuring leaves and singing birds… You should go to Tan Lap from October to November to be able to see the lotus blooming and smell the scent of this pure flower.
Tan Lap Floating Village – the most attraction in Mekong Delta
6) Truc Lam Phuong Nam pagoda in Can Tho: One of the famous landmarks of Can Tho City is Truc Lam Phuong Nam is considered one of the largest pagoda in the South West with its area up to 4 hectares.
7) Go Thap Monuments in Dong Thap: Go Thap Monuments with five typical relics are Thap Muoi, Co Tu, Grave and temples of Doc Binh Kieu, Master mound, Ba Chua Temple. Don’t forget to pass by Kien An Cung Pagoda of Huynh Thuy Le’s family which is related to the French novel “L’amant” (“The Lover”) by Marguerite Duras.
8) Besides, you can explore the ecotourism sites in Dong Thap such as Xeo Quyt – an attractive historical and ecological site; the strange garden in Thap Muoi; Sa Dec floral village is full of aroma and color; fruit orchards like Cao Lanh mango, Chau Thanh mango, Phong Hoa pomelo and Lai Vung mandarin.
Sa Dec flower villages in Mekong Delta
9) Tram Chim National Park, Dong Thap province: Every year, when the water is over, Tram Chim displays new color and natural beauty. Rather than welcome the dawn like the majority of people, you can start exploring in the afternoon to enjoy the wonderful scenery. In addition, the floating season is also where the lotus fields are in bloom all over the place and you should travel by boat to feel the beauty of this place.
10) Ben Tre: Ben Tre’s highlights are 04 islands: Long (Dragon) Island, Lân (Unicorn) Island, Quy (Turtle) Island, Phụng (Phoenix) Island. It makes a big difference to explore by canoeing on the canals instead of traveling along the roads.
Phụng (Phoenix) Island in Ben Tre
1. Ba Chua Xu Temple Festival in An Giang
The festival is held from 23 April to 27 April lunar calendar. This is a religious festival bearing the cultural identity of the Southwest and attracts a great number of Buddhists from all over the country.
The festival consists of two parts. The ceremony consisted of four main ceremonies: the procession of four tablets from Thoai Ngoc Hau tomb to “Bà” Temple, Túc Yết ceremony, Xay Chau – Hat Boi ceremony, the Feast of the Sacred Heart. This attractive festival is very exciting and it is interwoven with the ceremony, the folk art and cultural performances such as lion dance, dance sports, cup dance…
Khmer Cow Racing Festival in An Giang
2. Khmer Cow Racing Festival in An Giang
Bay Mau Racing Festival is an attractive festival of Khmer ethnic people, it usually held from August 29 to Sep 01 lunar calendar (if the month is short, from 29-8 to 2-9 lunar calendar). Bold folk cultural identity, drag racing festival is a cultural activity, unique sport in the Seven Mountains (Bay Nui), An Giang.
Khmer Cow Racing Festival in An Giang
3. Ok om bok festival in Soc Trang and Tra Vinh
As a Khmer festival, Ok om bok festival means worshiping the moon, giving thanks and praying for a good harvest. According to the Khmer belief, the moon is the god of weather and harvest in the year. This festival takes place every year around mid-October lunar year. It was often held in the courtyard of each squad in Tra Vinh province and Soc Trang where many Khmer people live.
Ok om bok festival in Soc Trang and Tra Vinh
4. Chol Chnam Thmay Festival
Chol Chnam Thmay (or Chaul Chnam Thmay) is a New Year’s festival according to the traditional Khmer calendar that usually takes place in mid-April and lasts for 3 days. At this time people clean up, decorate the house beautifully, prepare food, fruit cake, children are usually bought for new clothes. If you have traveled to Can Tho, Vinh Long, Tra Vinh, … or other western provinces in April will also participate in this traditional New Year.
Chol Chnam Thmay Festival
1) Tan Quy Dong flower village, Sa Dec, Dong Thap: As one of the central flower landscapes in Mekong Delta – Sa Dec, or more specifically the Tan Quy Dong flower village in Sa Dec, is always a tourist destination when the Lunar New Year comes.
Tan Quy Dong flower village is the most grown daisies: Hydrangea, Gerbera, Marigold… Beside that is the bowl of ducal, Kalanchoe, hibiscus flowers, pink chili, chili… There are also hundreds of rare plants in the South. So here every season adjacent to Tet are busy travelers, just look at flowers and take pictures.
Tan Quy Dong flower village in Sa Dec, is always a tourist destination when the Lunar New Year comes (photo: Hiếu Minh Vũ)
2) Phuoc Dinh – the village of apricot blossom: Phuoc Dinh is located about 3km away from the center of Vinh Long city, it provides the famous yellow apricot. Plum in Phuoc Dinh is usually golden apricot which is longevity and big value. In the coming months, Phuoc Dinh village is the place where the collectors come to prepare for Tet. So, come to Phuoc Dinh this occasion, you will be blended into the air of busy garden on spring in Mekong Delta.
3) My Phong flower village in My Tho, Tien Giang province: about 70 km from Saigon, My Phong is the most of the famous flower villages in Mekong Delta. My Tho is a place where many visitors look for flowers and take pictures in Tet holiday. Here, you will certainly feel the bustle of Tet when seeing people care flowers, flowers are delivered for sale.
My Phong is the most of the famous flower villages in Mekong Delta
Hue is not only attracted by the beauty of culture, history, ancient beauty but also captivated people by the friendliness of the people of Hue, the gentle and sweet daughters. And some attractions near Hue citadel below will bring us the feelings of beautiful natural scenery as well as peaceful places.
1) Thien An – Thuy Tien Lake
Thuy Tien Lake is located in the hills of Thien An with shady green trees. Thuy Tien lake brings tranquility and romance, Thien An hill has the appearance of a “miniature Da Lat”, covered by green pine trees. All of them blend together to give visitors a feeling of lightness and relaxation in a peaceful space.
2) Lap An lagoon
Combining a trip to Lang Co Beach with a visit to Dam An (also known as An Cu Lagoon) is an attraction near Hue. When the sunset diminishes behind the magnificent Bach Ma mountain, the flat surface of Lap An lake turns into a vibrant orange-yellow color with a deep blue color of the water, looking like a picture. Watercolors are incredibly fanciful and lively. In addition, the people here are famous for raising oysters so come here, besides admiring the lyrical scenery, you also have the opportunity to enjoy the delicious dishes made from oysters.
Lap An lagoon – attraction near hue citadel are must visit (photo: internet)
3) Truc Lam Monastery
Located at the foot of the Bach Ma Mountain, Truoi Lake is a large hydroelectric power plant. In the middle of Lake Truoi, Bach Ma Truc Lam Zen Monastery is the first monastery in the Central, looking like a lotus pond in the center of the lake. From Zen Monastery, let your eyes gaze away to admire the majestic mountain scenery and the beauty of the “blue water” of Truoi lake in the cool air.
4) Huyen Khong Son Thuong Pagoda
Located in Dong Cham village (Huong Ho), Huong Ho ward, Huong Tra town, Thua Thien Hue, about 14km west of Hue. The temple in the middle of a charming area should be the purest space to meditate meditation.
Huyen khong son thuong pagoda – attraction near hue citadel are must visit (photo: honglamsg)
5) Hai Duong Beach
Hai Duong beach is the beautiful beach of Huong Tra town, in Thua Thien Hue province. Perhaps when you come to Hai Duong beach, you will enjoy many new and unique experience. Here you can take a bath or sit on the fine sand, admire the sunrise or sunset but you can also stroll barefoot on the waves of green mossy surfing, fishing, catching crabs.
Hai Duong beach – attraction near hue citadel are must visit (photo: du lịch điểm đến)
6) Elephant stream (Suoi Voi)
Not too many majestic waterfalls like in the Central Highlands, but Hue still attracts tourists, who like to hear the water pouring and mopping through each stone. The elephant stream is the ideal destination for tourists to satisfy their desire. Under the thick canopy of dense evergreen vegetation, the waterfall begins to pour down, leaving the white hair down to the bottom, creating a very pleasant sound. Beneath the footfall, a rock with the same image as the real elephant and the glittering lake is waiting for tourists to soak to, it makes you feel comfortable.
Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) has many beautiful places to visit, a lot of delicious foods and friendly people… This is always a destination and transit for domestic and foreign tourists. You can travel to Ho Chi Minh city at any time of the year because the city has only two rainy and dry seasons instead of 04 seasons (spring, summer, autumn, and winter) like Hanoi. In addition, the sunny season in Saigon is not too harsh, the rain does not prolong so it will not affect your trip.
These are 10 awesome places which are famous attractions in Ho Chi Minh city:
1) Cu Chi Tunnels: The best way to understand the resounding history of Vietnam in the War is through a tour to Cu Chi Tunnels. With a total length of 250 km of tunnels, they are considered the underground community of the Vietnam guerrilla fighters who held out through the whole war, very close to Saigon.
2) War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh City:
This is the most authentic space of the war fierce that the Vietnamese people have experienced. Artifacts such as airplanes, cannons, tanks, guillotines and two tiger cotes were built as the same size of the cotes in Con Dao island.
War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh City
3) Independence Palace (Reunification Palace): Independence Palace, or Reunification Palace, is thought as a special symbol of the victory, peace, and territorial integrity of Vietnam. This palace has stayed in the mind not only the locals but also the foreigners from generations to generations.
4) Notre Dame Cathedral: visiting the Notre Dame Cathedral is one of the top things to do in Ho Chi Minh City that you should not ignore. This is the most popular landmark and the core Cathedral of the city. The Cathedral still becomes an alluring place to visit whatever religion you are now.
5) Jade Emperor Pagoda: In his recent visit to Vietnam, the U.S President Obama was scheduled to drop by Jade Emperor Pagoda (Ngọc Hoàng pagoda) for the purpose of paying tribute to and admiring the traditional cultural expressions of Vietnam. Built in the early 20th century for the Chinese community, the pagoda still serves as a place of worship for both Taoism and Buddhism.
Jade Emperor Pagoda (chùa Ngọc Hoàng) in Ho Chi Minh City
6) Central Post Office: Built between 1886 and 1891, the post office may be known as the biggest and busiest one around Vietnam in general and Saigon in particular.
Saigon Central Post Office – an awesome place to visit
7) Bitexco Financial Tower: Bitexco tower is truly a typical building of prominent design and innovation for tourists who love enjoying breathtaking views from above. Setting foot here, guests are able to go shopping, enjoy drinking and watching the panoramic view of Saigon.
8) Pham Ngu Lao Neighborhood: Pham Ngu Lao is sometimes known as the “backpacker area” or the “budget-travel district”. Slightly similar to the famous Khao San Road in Bangkok, lots of the budget travelers mostly spend their time in this area. Many visitors prefer to enjoy local street food or people-watching while enjoying the incredibly cheap ‘bia hoi’ draught beer on the roadside.
Pham Ngu Lao is sometimes known as the “backpacker area” or the “budget-travel district”
9) Ben Thanh Market: As a bustling market in both the daytime and nighttime, Ben Thanh Market is a great attraction in Saigon for bargain-hunters, whether you are looking for clothes, souvenirs or local food- there is something for everybody here.
10) Museum of Ho Chi Minh City: Museum of Ho Chi Minh City or Revolutionary Museum is seen as a historic destination that you should not miss through your trip to Saigon. The building was designed by a French architect and it was built in 1885 – 1890. This 100-year-old building was the residence of the Governor of Cochinchina, and then became the office of the Imperial Delegate of the King’s special envoy.
Jan to April:
These months are spring season in Hue, when the weather is perfect for all activities. The average temperature is around 22 degrees Celsius, making it much more comfortable to go outside and explore the city. The amount of rain in Hue is also at its least in these months, so tourists won’t be afraid that rains will ruin their vacation. These are the best time for tourist to visit many historical sites such as Imperial City, Minh Mang tomb, Thien Mu Pagoda and enjoy traditional performances like Hue’s royal court music.
The best time to visit Hue city – Photo: phuong-anh-violet
May to July:
It’s still possible to visit Hue in these months, but it’s not highly recommended. Since they are summer months of the year, the weather is the hottest with average temperature of 30 degrees, making it more uncomfortable for tourists. However, tourists will have chance to relax on the beautiful beaches with deep blue sky.
The best time to visit Hue city – Photo: Svietnam
August to December:
Tourists can possibly visit Hue in this season, but not recommended. First, Hue is relatively crowded in August since it is high season for domestic travel. Secondly, it’s also the rainy season from September to December; therefore, the rains occur frequently and can last few hours. Thus, your vacation could be ruined in these months.
In the South with a network of channels and canals, people stick with the life of the water garden because the floating market is a unique form of living of the West.
Cai Rang Floating Market, Can Tho
It took about 30 minutes from Ninh Kieu wharf, sitting on the motorboat along the Hau river to the Cai Rang floating market in the early morning which is what every traveler would wish to do once. The market of floating market from 5 to 9 am, specializing in trading of agricultural products, fruits, goods, food… This is a special culture in the Mekong Delta, attracting a lot of foreign visitors to visit.
Cai Be Floating Market, Tien Giang
Cai Be floating market, Cai Be district is located in the Tien Giang River between Tien Giang, Vinh Long and Ben Tre provinces. This is one of the largest wholesale markets in Mekong Delta. Markets are the place to perform various business activities ranging from fabric, household items to poultry, seafood… to the food and drinks are also not missing. The most famous market is the place of exchange and a large fruit basket of Tien Giang province, most famous for Tien Giang specialty fruits such as Lo Ren breast milk, green grapefruit, Tan Lap orange.
Floating market in Mekong delta
Floating Market in Hau Giang
Nga Bay also known as Phung Hiep floating Market is a floating market in the town of Nga Bay was formed in 1915. This is the famous floating market of Hau Giang Province where the activities of buying and selling, exchange of goods of Mekong River Delta residents.
Floating Market in Long Xuyen, An Giang
In Hau river, My Phuoc Ward, Long Xuyen city, An Giang province, there are hundreds of boat anchored in the river, living, and year-round trade throughout the month. The main products here are vegetables such as vegetables, melons, cucumber, pumpkin, potato… and famous snacks of An Giang land such as fish noodles, cakes, pigskin…
Hanoi Head Office: 8th Floor,No 77 Nguyen Thai Hoc street, Dien Bien quarter, Ba Dinh district, Ha Noi city, Viet Nam | Phone: +84 24 3926 3449 | Fax: + 84 24 3926 3450
Hanoi Office:39D Dinh Tien Hoang str., HaNoi | Phone: +84 24 3926 3370 | F: (84-24) 3926 3367
Hue Office:33 Vo Thi Sau str., Hue City | Phone: (84- 234) 393 44 55 | F: F: (84-234) 393 44 57
Saigon Office:4th Floor, Room 403. No 14B, Ky Dong Street, Ward 9, District 3, HCMC. | Phone:(84-28) 3930 2959